Weingut Baron Knyphausen
Erbacher Straße 28
Telefon: +49 (0) 61 23 - 79 07 10
Telefax: +49 (0) 61 23 - 7 90 71 18
In 1818 the East Frisian noble family Baron Knyphausen whose members were generals of the Prussian crown, bought the Draiser Hof in the Rheingau. The Draiser Hof belonged to the Abbey Kloster Eberbach, founded in 1141 and already in 1163 a wine cellar was mentioned in connection with the abbey.
The wine estate Baron Knyphausen with its world-famous sites like Erbacher Marcobrunn, Erbacher Hohenrain or Erbacher Steinmorgen is part of well-known German wine estates and since 1972 member of the Association of German Predicate Wine Estates (VDP) as well as a member of the CHARTA-Association. Vineyards are cultivated with 75% Riesling, 15% Pinot Noir as well as autochthonic varieties such as red Riesling and mixed varieties of yellow Orleans, white Heunisch and 5 other varieties.
Changing to organic wine farming and introducing most stringent quality controls as well as the careful introduction of barrique has led to elegant and fine wines. Since 2015, Baron Frederik Baron zu Knyphausen has taken over the estate from his father Baron Gerko zu Knyphausen, now managing the estate in the eighth generation.